Fallopian Tube Repair (Tubal Reanastomosis)
Repairing Regret and Restoring Relationships
Over 11 million ages 15-44 have undergone tubal sterilization. Tubal ligation reversal is the repair of tied or blocked fallopian tubes that previously underwent tubal ligation, often called “having your tubes tied.” The procedure of tubal reversal is performed to restore fertility.
We feel compelled to offer fallopian tube repair because it brings wholeness both to the body and to the spirit, healing the whole person with the aid of God, our Divine Physician. The surgery symbolizes the couple’s spiritual reversal of faith in changing their orientation to partnering with God in bringing new life and celebrating reproductive health.
There is no need to undergo surgery to obtain God’s forgiveness, but rather Christ’s spiritual healing is always available through genuine contrition and a true repentance. Spiritual life can be a sufficient form of life-giving for those who regret their sterilization but chose not to undergo the procedure. Although the surgery is not spiritually necessary, it is a way to embody a spiritual decision of openness to life in the physical realm.
Why Consider Tubal Repair?
- Sterilization performed Postpartum may be a rash decision made when couples are so vulnerable just after birth.
- Spiritual Reasons
- Desire for Another Child
Factors to Consider in Discernment
- It is expensive and it is not covered by insurance.
- Consider risks of surgery and anesthesia.
- Do you feel spiritually led to do this, but also understand it is not a spiritual necessity?
- To make the surgery worthwhile, it is ideal if you had tubal litigation within the last 5 years, no longer.
- Age of the woman
- A surgical history gynecological appointment.
- Please use the “Release of Medical Records” form on our website to get information about your former surgery.
- Sometimes we will request a tubal dye X-ray study to determine proximal tubal lengths.
- Recovery in hospital varies from a few hours to a day. Most return home within 2 hours.
- Recuperation is 4-6 weeks. Some women may be able to return to seated jobs sooner.
- An incision in the lower abdomen is made. Magnifying lenses allow surgery to occur accurately. stitches are placed to bring the cut ends of the fallopian tubes back together.
What factors determine the likelihood of success?
- Woman’s age.
- Time since the original litigation procedure.
- Type of surgery previously performed especially in reference to burning or scarring tissue with hot or cold instruments (called Cautery).
- Length of remaining tubes.
- Tubal patency (openness) is 80-90% after surgery. Subsequent pregnancy rates vary more widely, usually 50% overall.
Pregnancy after Tubal Ligation Reversal
- We ask that as soon as you become pregnant, please contact us.
- Approximately 10% of pregnancies after tubal ligation reversal are ectopic, or located in the tube. We follow beta HCG levels, and when it is appropriate, perform a vaginal ultrasound to confirm an intrauterine pregnancy. If the pregnancy is ectopic, then definitive treatment is undertaken.
- Pregnancy after is 50-80% successful depending on factors such as age, hormonal normalcy, time since last procedure, ligation method, and spouse’s fertility.
Contact Tepeyac Family Center and ask for Dr. Cvetkovich for a consult on Fallopian Tube Repair